Posted by DHKL on December 10, 1996 at 00:25:48:
In Reply to: Re: Toronto blessing posted by Lolly Pope on September 30, 1996 at 17:24:06:
:THE ERROR OF THE LAUGHING REVIVAL
Glowing reports are given for the Laughing Revival, and its leaders
warn that to resist this "renewal" is to resist God. Its adherents advise
to try to figure it out. We are told by God Himself, though, to "prove all things" (1 Thess. 5:21), and we will not gullibly accept a movement merely because it is popular and enthusiastic. In fact, having tested the Laughing Revival, there are six Bible reasons which force us to reject it.
1. THE CONFUSION PROVES IT IS ERROR. In watching a video of the Laughing
Revival, I was struck with the confusion which characterizes these meetings.
This is not of God. When we attempt to point out error such as this, there
is the protest that we should not attempt to put the Holy Spirit in a box.
"Who are we to say how the Holy Spirit will act?" My friends, the Bible
has already told us how the Holy Spirit will act! He will NOT act contrary
to the Word of God He has inspired. The Christian is instructed to "prove
all things" (1 Thess. 5:21). We must take the Bible and test every spirit
and every teaching and every teacher and every religious phenomenon. The
Corinthians were reveling in supposed spiritual gifts and experiences,
but the Apostle Paul had to rebuke them for their error. One thing he plainly
said was that "God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in
all churches of the saints" (1 Cor. 14:33). Note that the Apostle tells
us that God is going to act the same in ALL CHURCHES OF THE SAINTS. He
will act the same in North America and in Africa and in Asia and in Europe.
the church of Corinth that the confusion which was manifest in their meetings was driving visitors away from the Lord. "If therefore the whole
church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, WILL THEY NOT SAY THAT YE ARE MAD?" (1 Cor. 14:23). This is exactly what I thought as I watched the video of the Laughing Revivals. THESE PEOPLE ARE MAD!
2. THE REJECTION OF BIBLICAL ORDER PROVES IT IS ERROR. It is not surprising
that many of those who are involved in "ministering the joy" are women
who have usurped positions of authority over men. The Bible sternly forbids
this. The Apostle Paul instructed, "But I suffer not a woman to teach,
nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was
first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being
deceived was in the transgression" (1 Timothy 2:12-14). That which the
Apostle refused, most charismatics allow. This is not of God. God would
not forbid women to teach men and to take positions of authority over men,
women to do exactly that! It is confusion and gross error.
3. THE LACK OF CONTROL PROVES IT IS ERROR. The Laughing Revivals are characterized by lack of control on the part of those who "receive the joy." The opening scene in the video titled The Laugh Heard 'round the World shows Pastor Karl Strader of Carpenter's Home Church laughing uncontrollably. He tries to speak but is unable to do so. Finally he falls limply into the arms of "the catchers" who are standing behind him. Contrast this with the instructions given by the Apostle Paul pertaining to the ministry of spiritual gifts: "And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints" (1 Cor. 14:32-33). The Holy Spirit's ministry does not overthrow the person's control of himself. For a person to be rendered unconscious, or to lose control of his tongue, or of his limbs, is evidence of the ministration of foreign spirits, not of the Holy Spirit.
4. THE LACK OF DECENCY PROVES IT IS ERROR. Paul instructed, "Let all
things be done decently and in order" (1 Cor. 14:40). This is exactly what
the Laughing Revivals ARE NOT. They are not orderly, and they are not decent.
Most of the video footage from The Laugh Heard 'round the World depicted
WOMEN lying on the floor. Often they had items of clothing thrown over
the lower portions of their bodies BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT DECENT. The Holy
Spirit has instructed women to be modest and chaste at all times. He would
something to women to render them indecent. Further, for men to move around in this type of scene and touch the bellies of these women IS NOT DECENT.
5. THE FACT THAT IT IS CONTRARY TO THE BIBLICAL PATTERN PROVES IT IS
ERROR. Where in the Scriptures do we see anything like a Laughing Revival?
Where do we see the prophets of old rolling around in fits of laughter?
Where do we see Jesus Christ "ministering laughter" to the multitudes?
Where do we see the Apostles tossing the Holy Spirit upon people and touching
the bellies of
their church members to encourage more "holy" giggles? Where do we see the Apostles chuckling in the face of demonic oppression? It is unscriptural nonsense, folks. The ones who are deceived by it are those who reject the plain teaching of the Word of God and who open themselves up to foreign spirits.
6. THE DOCTRINAL CARELESSNESS AND CALL FOR ECUMENICAL UNITY PROVES IT IS ERROR. The Bible says the Holy Spirit is the SPIRIT OF TRUTH (John 14:17; 15:26; 16:13), but the fruit of the charismatic laughter is not truth but doctrinal error and ecumenical unity which ignores doctrinal purity. The spirit of the charismatic Laughing Revival is unconcerned about doctrinal error. He pours himself upon Catholics and modernists alike without imparting to them a love for the truth and a repentance toward apostasy. He seeks to bring together all denominations regardless of the doctrinal error. One the passages frequently preached from at Laughing Revival meetings is John 17:20-23, and the call is made for "denominational walls had to come down, for we are all one in Jesus." We must hasten to ask, What Jesus? The Bible warns that there are false christs and false gospels and false spirits (2 Corinthians 11:3). All who profess to be Christians are not one in the true Jesus of the Bible. The Lord Jesus Christ warned that there would be MANY who would do wonderful works IN HIS NAME and who would even cast our devils IN HIS NAME and yet be unsaved religionists (Matthew 7:21-23).
One of the leaders involved with the Toronto Blessing, Randy Clark, pastor of the St. Louis Vineyard Christian Fellowship, recently arranged a renewal and reconciliation movement in Philadelphia, with nightly meetings from October 8 to November 7. The gathering was sponsored by five congregations, including an Episcopal church, a Vineyard church, and a Catholic charismatic fellowship (Charisma, November 1996, p. 15). This illustrates the radical nature of the ecumenism being produced by the Laughing Revival. It ignores soul-damning heresies such as infant baptism, baptismal regeneration, and sacramentalism.
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MIRACLES?
I don't have to try to figure out what is going on with every aspect of the Charismatic movement. "But what about this healing, and what about that miracle?" My friends, it is not my responsibility to understand the nature of every supposed miracle that is occurring. God hasn't told me to do that. He has told me to take the Word of God and measure churches and movements by it and to reject that which is contrary to it (1 Thessalonians 5:21). The Bible says, "The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going" (Proverbs 14:15). The Laughing Revival is unscriptural through and through. Consider some of the doctrines and practices associated with it: "Spirit slaying," uncontrollable laughter, unintelligible gibberish ("tongues"), charismatic prophecies, women preachers, ecumenism, lack of spiritual and doctrinal discernment, confusion about the gospel (for example, many associated with the Laughing Revival believe salvation can be lost, while others believe salvation requires the sacraments). When we see error, we are warned to stay away from it (Romans 16:17-18). The Holy Scriptures repeatedly warn that the signs and wonders movement of the last days will be a demonic delusion (Matt. 24:24; 2 Thess. 2:7-9; Rev. 13:14,15).
LAUGHING , A Revival????.......===>
Instead of laughing, we are told in the bible that we are to REPENT of our sins. This phenomena therefore leads people astray and away from TRUE salvation!!!
Luke 6:21 "..........Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh."
And NOT the other way round!!!